- Waiting on the World to Change (Grades K-12): How can we make change happen in our community?
Projects for Younger Students
- Shapes Museum (Grade 1): Students learn about the different geometric shapes in their immediate environment (homes, yard, or street).
- The Storytime Channel (Grades K-2): Students learn about story elements such as character, setting, and plot by reading picture books at home.
- Rain or Shine (Grade K): Students observe the weather at home.
- Taking Care of Our Environment (Grade K): Students help to create jobs and responsibilities to take care of their homes and outdoor spaces.
- Hunger (Grades K-12): How can we affect hunger in our community?
Projects for Older Students
- Shrinking Our Footprints (Grade 5): Students learn about their families’ impact on the environment (in terms of water usage, food waste, etc.)
- Literary Playlist (Grades 6-12): Students focus on characters and themes in literary texts.
- Quadrats to Biodiversity (Grade 6): Students learn about density and frequency of different species in natural areas near their home.
- Planning to Thrive (Grade 7): Students develop personal health/wellness goals and create and implement plans to achieve those goals.
Our new eBook This Teachable Moment is free to download now. It offers parents an intro to Project Based Learning (PBL) and features 21 easy-to-implement, “follow the recipe” PBL projects, designed for children of all ages and capabilities within a household.
These projects can be used by families to keep students learning, growing, and discovering during the summer and beyond, all while giving parents the space and time needed to stay productive.
More Helpful Tips & Projects in Action
Free Webinars on Supporting Online PBL
Listen to these recorded webinars, designed to support teachers facilitate PBL online.
Webinar: How to Adapt a Gold Standard Project for Online Learning
Teachers everywhere are trying to figure out how to engage students in intellectually challenging and meaningful work online. Learn how to adapt a Gold Standard PBL project for online learning.Learn more
Webinar: Solutions for Sticky Problems of Practice for Facilitating PBL Online
What are the top challenges teachers are encountering as they design and facilitate PBL online? Get solutions for the stickiest problems of practice.Learn more
Webinar: Stories from the field: Insights from teachers facilitating PBL online
Hear directly from teachers about projects they designed and facilitated online, and key insights they gained from the experience.Learn more
Our collection of project ideas is created for a range of grade levels and subject areas. Aligned to Common Core, NGSS, and other national standards, the project cards include driving questions, project descriptions, and recommendations for making products public. Each one offers a great starting point for newbies, and inspiration for more experienced practitioners.