Join our team
We're incredibly fortunate to be surrounded by collaborative, fun-loving professionals who are passionate about learning and motivated by possibilities for advancing educational equity and transforming students’ lives.
Together we create exceptional Project Based Learning (PBL) services and resources for educators. Many of us are former teachers and school leaders with deep roots in PBL. Some of us work remotely from all over the country. More than a few of us bring our dogs to work. Every one of us is committed to making a positive impact on students.
Interested in joining us? Please check our open positions below.
Director of District & School Leadership (DDSL) - Part Time, Time Limited
PBLWorks (formerly the Buck Institute for Education), is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization headquartered in Northern California, and is the industry leader in providing professional development and support services related to Project Based Learning (PBL). PBLWorks creates, collects, and shares high-quality PBL tools and resources with K-12 teachers and leaders across the country. At PBLWorks, we believe that all students—no matter where they live or what their background—should have access to quality PBL instruction to deepen their learning and achieve success in college, career, and life and we seek to build a multi-talented staff who deeply understand and embrace the diversity of the students of today, and have awareness of the challenges in the world those students will inherit. At the end of 2016, PBLWorks launched an ambitious new strategic plan that provides a clear roadmap for ensuring equitable, consistent, and positive student outcomes while also creating the evidence base for further adoption of PBL.
The Director of District & School Leadership (DDSL) plays a pivotal role in supporting school and district leaders around the United States in their effort to implement high quality Project Based Learning. This position provides an opportunity to have influence on schools and districts within a specific region, through the delivery of engaging professional development, face-to-face and virtual leadership coaching, and strategic planning support. The DDSL will work closely with the DDSL team and will provide guidance and consultation to superintendents, district and school leaders. The DDSL will need to leverage systems thinking, adult learning theory and leadership development theory.
District & School Leadership Development:
- Provide leadership coaching and support to district leaders in 3-4 school districts to ensure a systemic implementation of Project Based Learning.
- Assist with the launch and facilitation of PBL School Leader Networks.
- Facilitate online and onsite meetings and leadership workshops to school and district leaders to build their capacity to support and sustain the implementation of high quality PBL.
- Assess the districts’ implementation capabilities, develop and maintain excellent relationships with district and school leadership partners, and build capacity of leadership teams in the districts and individual schools.
- Facilitate the development and monitoring of district-wide implementation plans for PBL.
- Engage in regularly scheduled (weekly or bi-weekly) coaching sessions with district and/or school partners to support PBL implementation.
- Represent PBLWorks by communicating to partners and the public what PBL is, and what products, online resources, and professional development are available in PBLWorks’ suite of services.
- Remain in close contact with supervisor and other PBLWorks staff, and keep PBLWorks fully informed of district activities and progress with regards to district-wide PBL implementation.
District & School Partner Management:
- Ensure fulfillment of contracted services in a timely fashion, working with PBLWorks staff to plan and coordinate service delivery of PBL teacher and leader development workshops and additional programs and services.
- Work collaboratively with PBLWorks staff to measure and track delivery of programs.
- Ensure collection of research and efficacy data related to PBL implementation.
- Expand revenue-generating district and school partnerships based on PBLWorks’ theory of action; cultivate existing relationships and develop new relationships.
- Ensure annual revenue goals for district and school development work are attained.
Contributing to PBLWorks’ mission:
- Work with other PBLWorks team members to further PBLWorks’ mission, vision, values, and strategic plan.
- Share and model our deep passion for equitable access for all students to high quality education.
- Support PBLWorks colleagues as needed.
- Attend all PBLWorks National Faculty summits and conferences.
- Attend quarterly (and potentially, more frequent) PBLWorks staff meetings each year in Novato, CA.
- Complete other tasks, as assigned.
Qualifications and Abilities:
The Director of District and School Leadership (DDSL) will be thoroughly committed to PBLWorks’ strategy and mission. All candidates should have demonstrable leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience and success managing business relationships. Additionally,
The successful candidate will bring this experience to the role:
- At least five years of successful school district or system leadership experience or experience working closely with school and district leaders in a coaching/consultative role.
- Successful mentoring or coaching of school and/or district leaders.
- Successful online and onsite facilitation of groups, especially in service of strategic planning and professional learning.
- Successful implementation and scaling of programs across a school district or system.
- Strong demonstrable community building experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders
- Experience leading national professional services in large urban districts, ideally with 50% or more students of color
The successful candidate will possess these skills:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. S/he will be a persuasive, credible, and polished communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Superior public speaking and presentation skills.
- Strong ability to persuade and influence others.
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and excellence in organizational and project management with the ability to achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget.
- The ability to handle a variety of constituencies, manage multiple tasks simultaneously and thrive in a complex environment with multiple priorities.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Strong analytical skills; basic business intuition
The successful candidate will reflect these attributes:
- Integrity, a positive attitude, and self-direction
- A team player who can interrelate and operate effectively with peers and other associates within a collegial, yet demanding, work environment
- Strong work ethic and demonstrated passion for PBLWorks' mission and commitment to working collaboratively with a management team of senior professionals
The Application Process
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit your resume and a compelling cover letter via our applications page. PBLWorks will contact you if there is a match between the job requirements and your skill set.
We are actively seeking diverse candidates. PBLWorks is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status or disability (in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act) with respect to employment opportunities.