The PBL Champion Awards
Everyday Leaders in Project Based Learning
The recipients of the PBL Champion awards demonstrate a commitment to PBL; have done quality, lasting work; and have shown evidence of impact on students.
They are champions of Project Based Learning in their schools or districts and in the education community.
Presented annually at PBL World
The awards are presented each year at PBL World, the premier event for Project Based Learning. Each award recipient is invited to share their story during one of the morning keynote sessions.
In addition, recipients receive complimentary registration to their choice 3-day workshop at PBL World. Note: Complimentary registrations are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Individual Champion: one (1) complimentary registration to PBL World
- School Champion: two (2) complimentary registrations to PBL World
- District Champion: three (3) complimentary registrations to PBL World
Thank you for telling us about the PBL Champions that you know. As of April 15, nominations for 2021 PBL Champion are closed. Award recipients will be contacted by May 15!
Prompts for Individual Nominations
- How they have contributed to the advancement of PBL?
- Describe their impact on students, teachers, or leaders engaging in PBL.
- How have they contributed to PBL advanced racial equity for Black and Brown students?
- What else would you like to share about their PBL journey or the contributions they have made to the PBL journey of others?
Prompts for School or District Nominations
- Describe how PBL is "main course" for students in this school. (Not sure? Read more here.)
- Why has PBL been transformative for this school or district?
- What evidence is there that this school or district has advanced racial equity for Black and Brown students. Please be specific.
- What else would you like to share about this school's PBL journey?
- Identify the PBL workshops that educators in the school or district have participated in.
Timeline & Eligibility
Public nominations are open until April 15. Award recipients will be contacted by May 15, and invited to attend PBL World (June 21-24). The awards will be presented at PBL World on June 24, 2021.
Eligibility. Nominations for the 2021 PBL Champion are limited to individuals, schools, and districts who are based in the United States and territories.
Our PBL Champions have positively impacted students by implementing high quality Project Based Learning. We honor these individuals and organizations, so that others can learn from their experiences and expertise.
2020 – Individual
Designer at the Stanford University "d.school" (Hasso Plattner Institute of Design)
2019 – Individual
Chief Academic Officer at EL Education and author of An Ethic of Excellence
2019 – Champion School
Billie Martinez Elementary School
Greeley-Evans School District 6
2019 – Champion DISTRICT
Burkburnett Independent School District