A School Leader Network, created for PBL leaders
Setting out into the unknown?
The journey from traditional instruction to PBL can often feel like a winding, uncertain path. You may find yourself wondering how you’re actually going to implement and sustain high quality PBL in your school. Or how you’ll fit PBL in with what your school is already doing. And what about your teachers? What’s the best way to support them through this transition so that all of their students can benefit?
You’re not on your own.
Instead of blazing this trail by yourself, imagine traveling with a group of your peers—from within your school and throughout your region. Our PBL School Leader Networks are designed to help you build your strengths as well as those of your leadership team, so your school can create the ideal conditions for implementing high quality PBL, and sustaining its momentum.
Through face-to-face workshops, virtual coaching, and a peer network of fellow local PBL leaders, you’ll get the deep levels of leader training and support you need. And you’ll be learning from one another, solving common problems of practice, leveraging the learning experiences of schools in your area, and sorting out what’s working and what’s not in a safe and collaborative space.
You’ll share camaraderie with like-minded leaders, and grow personally and professionally, as your teachers bring high quality PBL to all of your students.
What is it?
It’s a 2-year cohort program for school principals and their leadership teams—joining with other school teams on the same journey. It’s designed to help you build your strengths, as well as those of your leadership team, so your school can create the ideal conditions for implementing and sustaining high quality PBL.
Who should apply?
Leadership teams from K-12 schools looking to gain the skills and knowledge for successful and sustainable implementation of PBL. Each school team is made up of 4-5 participants – including the principal and other school leaders (assistant principal, instructional coaches, or teacher leaders).
What to expect?
Facilitated by PBLWorks staff, our program is a blend of:
- Face-to-face workshops
- Personal coaching for your team and school
- School site visits
- Deep collaboration with a peer network of fellow local PBL leaders.
A Preview of the Workshops
Leader Launch. Leaders experience PBL as a learner, develop a vision for PBL, and create an implementation plan (3 Day Workshop)
Culture. Foster the culture necessary to support a PBL approach to teaching and learning
Infrastructure. Create conditions in schools for Gold Standard PBL
Capacity. Build teachers’ capacity for Gold Standard PBL
Presentations of Learning. Leaders share their learning on PBL implementation
Continuous Improvement. Reflect on PBL implementation data and create an improvement plan for the next phase
5 Reasons we think you should apply.
1. You’ll walk away with concrete strategies and deliverables to help you put your leadership plan into action - including a shared vision, agreements, and commitment to PBL for your school.
2. You’ll forge relationships among your fellow network participants and your network leader (PBLWorks) to help sustain your work.
3. You’ll benefit from the time and space to reflect and learn – analyzing your successes, areas for growth, implementation challenges, and shifts in thinking and practice.
4. You’ll grow and deepen your leadership practice, as individuals and as a team.
5. Our approach is based on educational research, and the experience of guiding thousands of leaders and teachers on this journey over 20 years.