PBL Champions 2024
The annual awards for PBL Champions are a celebration of the individuals and teams who are impacting and expanding the work of Project Based Learning in education.
Everyday Leaders in Project Based Learning
The recipients of the PBL Champions awards demonstrate a commitment to PBL; have done quality, lasting work; and have shown evidence of impact on students.
They are champions of Project Based Learning in their schools or districts and in the education community.
Curious? Keep scrolling for the list of previous year's PBL Champions.
Presented Annually at PBL World
The awards are presented each year at PBL World, the premier event for Project Based Learning. Award recipients will be honored during a reception held on June 25, 2024.
In addition, recipients receive complimentary registration to their choice 3-day workshop at PBL World.
Note: Complimentary registrations are non-refundable and non-transferable. Travel and lodging are not included.
- Individual Champion: one (1) complimentary registration to PBL World
- School Champion: two (2) complimentary registrations to PBL World
- District Champion: three (3) complimentary registrations to PBL World
Following PBL World, all nominees will have an opportunity to share their stories through the PBLWorks Marketing team.
Prompts for Individual Nominations
- How have they contributed to the advancement of PBL?
- Describe their impact on students, teachers, or leaders engaging in PBL.
- How have they contributed to PBLWorks' commitment to advancing racial equity for Black and Brown students?
- What else would you like to share about their PBL journey or the contributions they have made to the PBL journey of others?
Prompts for School or District Nominations
- Describe how PBL is the "main course" for students in this school. (Not sure? Read more here.)
- Why has PBL been transformative for this school or district?
- What evidence demonstrates that this school or district has advanced racial equity for Black and Brown students? Please be specific.
- What else would you like to share about this school's PBL journey?
- Identify the PBLWorks workshops or courses that educators in the school or district have participated in.
Timeline & Eligibility
Public nominations are open until March 6, 2024. Award recipients will be contacted by April 8, and invited to attend PBL World (June 24-27). The awards will be presented at a reception at PBL World on June 25, 2024.
Eligibility. Nominations for the 2024 PBL Champion Awards are limited to individuals, schools, and districts that are based in the United States and territories.
Past PBL Champions
2023 – INDIVIDUAL
Principal of Kamali'i Elementary School in Maui, Hawaii
2023 – CHAMPION SCHOOL
Mary M. Walsh School
2023 - DISTRICT CHAMPION
Clark County School District
Las Vegas, Nevada
2023 - STATE PBL CHAMPION (FIRST EVER)
Dr. Jason Glass, Kentucky Commissioner of Education
2022 – INDIVIDUALKendall Van Valkenburg
High School English Teacher at Red Canyon Alternative High School
2022 – CHAMPION SCHOOL
Thomas A. Edison Career and Technical Education High School
Queens, New York
2022 – CHAMPION DISTRICT
Broward County Public Schools
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
2021 – CHAMPION SCHOOL
Waxpool Elementary School
Loudoun County Public Schools, Virginia
2021 – CHAMPION DISTRICTS
Pearl City Waipahu Complex Area
Hawaii Department of Education
Manchester School District
PBL CHAMPION OF THE DECADE
Film Director, Producer, Screenwriter, and Entrepreneur
2020 – INDIVIDUAL
Designer at the Stanford University "d.school" (Hasso Plattner Institute of Design)
2019 – INDIVIDUAL
Chief Academic Officer at EL Education and author of An Ethic of Excellence
2019 – CHAMPION SCHOOL
Billie Martinez Elementary School
Greeley-Evans School District 6
2019 – CHAMPION DISTRICT
Burkburnett Independent School District
"Our PBL Champions have positively impacted students by implementing high quality Project Based Learning. We honor these individuals and organizations, so that others can learn from their experiences and expertise."