Frequently Asked Questions
Learn more about PBL World 2023, including:
General Questions, Registration, Payments, Prerequisites for PBL 201 and Coaching Workshops, Travel, Special Accommodations, and COVID-19
Who should attend PBL World?
PBL World is a fabulous opportunity for all educators from all grade levels and types of schools to dive deep into professional learning focused on high-quality PBL. We welcome teachers, curriculum specialists, school and district leaders, instructional coaches, and teacher preparation faculty to join other like-minded colleagues on their PBL journeys.
How is PBL World different from other education conferences?
PBL World is a one-of-a-kind, multi-day event focused exclusively on Project Based Learning. Each year, we bring together educators — K-12 teachers, instructional coaches, and school and district leaders — who want to begin and advance their Project Based Learning practice, and connect with a community of like-minded peers.
This event isn’t your ordinary conference with a variety of short sessions by many different presenters. It's an immersive professional learning experience focused on supporting educators as they create projects and plans for implementing Gold Standard PBL in their classrooms, schools, and districts. You’ll be actively engaged in deep, focused, real work with your peer collaborators. We believe PBL transforms students – and PBL World transforms educators.
Who hosts PBL World?
PBL World is brought to you by PBLWorks (Buck Institute for Education). PBL World is one of the many ways we promote our vision for all students, especially Black and Brown students, to engage in high-quality Project Based Learning to deepen their learning and achieve success in college, career, and life.
How and when will I be able to check in to the event?
Event check-in will take place onsite at American Canyon High School. Participants who start the week with Pre-Conference workshops on Monday, June 26, 2023, can register on the morning of the Pre-Conference from 6:30-8 a.m. Check-in is open for participants joining us for the Conference during these times: Monday, June 26, 12-6 p.m. or Tuesday, June 27, 6:30-8 a.m. We encourage Conference participants who arrive in Napa before the first day of the Conference (Tuesday, June 27) to check in on Monday, June 26.
How will I be able to network with other participants?
Your learning will be guided by a member of our expert National Faculty, who is prepared to bring you an engaging and highly interactive experience. You will experience Project Based Learning in action together with your fellow participants — including large- and small-group discussions, direct communication with your facilitator, and the networking event.
What do I need to bring to be successful in the workshops?
Please plan to bring a laptop and charger to the event. The event site will provide free Wifi access for all participants. Prior to the conference, you will receive an email from your facilitator outlining the technical needs for you to be fully engaged in your workshop.
What do I need to bring to be comfortable at the event?
In June, Napa tends to be sunny and can be very hot and dry during the day. We encourage you to bring sunscreen and a reusable water bottle. We also recommend bringing a jacket for the cooler mornings and evenings, and for workshops, which are held in air-conditioned rooms.
What is the price for PBL World 2023?
Pricing: $1,300 (Tuesday, June 27 – Thursday, June 29, 2023)
Pre-Conference: $300 (Monday, June 26, 2023)
What do I need to know to book my travel?
For all travel-related questions, please visit our Travel page for more information.
What is the cost for registration and what's included?
The cost to attend one of our 3-day workshops is $1,300. The cost to add a 1-day pre-conference session to your registration is $300. Registration includes workshop participation, materials, and resources; catered continental breakfast and lunch; keynote speeches; and an opportunity to attend a special Welcome Reception. Please note: Travel is not included in registration costs. Participants are responsible for booking their own travel and lodging. See the Travel section for more information.
How does our group register for the same workshop session?
If you are interested in being with your school or district colleagues in the same workshop session, we encourage you to register together as a group. We will do our best to honor these requests, and there are no guarantees.
How can I change my registration?
Changes to registrations are permitted until Friday, June 9, 2023. To change your registration:
- Log in to your account using the email address you used to register, and your confirmation number.
- Click the Modify Registration button, then click "scroll down" to change your workshop.
- You will receive a modification confirmation email showing the changes to your registration.
Group Leaders: Log in using your email address and the group confirmation sent to you.
- Click the Modify Registration button, then click the Registration link next to the participant's name.
- Modify the participant's registration as needed, then follow the onscreen directions to complete the modification.
- The registrant will receive a modification confirmation email showing the changes to their registration.
How can I cancel my registration?
To cancel your registration, please log in to your account using the email address you used to register and your confirmation number, click the Cancel button and follow the onscreen directions. Please note our refund policy below.
How can I send someone else in my place?
Substitutions can be made online on or before Friday, June 9, 2023. To substitute a participant online:
- Log in to your account using the email address you used to register and your confirmation number.
- Click the Modify Registration button.
- Enter the new participant's name and email address.
- The new participant will receive a confirmation email that they will need to bring to check-in at the conference.
To substitute a participant onsite, please bring the following information to the Help Desk:
- The original confirmation email with the original participant's name
- Documentation from the original participant or group administrator confirming that you will replace the original participant
- Photo identification
Substitute participants must meet prerequisite requirements, and should be aware of any pre-work that was assigned by the workshop facilitator.
Refunds will not be granted to participants who do not complete the pre-work and are thus unable to participate fully in a workshop.
What payment options are available and where can I find vendor information?
For registrants from the United States, Canada, and Mexico:
- Credit cards: Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express are accepted for immediate registration online.
- Purchase orders: Payments of $1,000 or more may be processed via Purchase Order. If your purchase is less than $1,000, you must pay by credit card.
- Purchase orders must be received within 30 days of registration date. To make PBLWorks a vendor, please download a copy of our W-9 form (pdf).
Note: Unpaid registrations are subject to cancellation after Monday, June 19, 2023.
For international registrants (outside of the United States, Canada, and Mexico):
- Wire transfer: Wire transfer is the only form of payment accepted for international registrants. Wire instructions will be shown on the registration confirmation page, and sent out via email.
- Customer is responsible for paying all associated wire fees, including sender and receiver wire fees. Please ensure the net amount of your wire is in U.S. Dollars and equals the invoice amount.
- Registrations from outside the U.S., Canada, and Mexico must be approved by the PBLWorks Events Team.
What is the refund policy?
Our refund policy is as follows:
- Cancellations submitted Tuesday, November 1, 2022 through Tuesday, February 28, 2023, at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time will receive a 50% refund of registration fees.
- No refunds will be issued for cancellations submitted after Tuesday, February 28, 2023, at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time.
- Refunds will be issued in the same form as the original payment when possible.
- PBLWorks does not award payment credit toward future services or events.
Prerequisites for PBL 201 & PBL Coaching Workshops
Can I substitute my other PBL training or experience for the PBL 101 Workshop which is a prerequisite for the PBL 201 Workshop?
Because PBL 201 Workshops build upon learning from the PBLWorks PBL 101, participants must have completed this prerequisite to be eligible to register. Having familiarity with the PBLWorks approach, resources, and tools will be necessary for optimal success in this workshop. Completion of training conducted by other organizations will not be considered sufficient preparation.
I have several years of PBL experience. Do I still need the PBLWorks PBL 101 Workshop prerequisite?
PBL 201 requires deep familiarity with the PBLWorks approach, resources, and tools learned in the PBLWorks PBL 101 Workshop. As a result, PBL 201 participants must have completed PBL 101 offered by PBLWorks to be eligible to register. Attendance of training conducted by other organizations will not be considered sufficient as a prerequisite.
Can I substitute my other PBL training or experience for the PBL 101 Workshop which is a prerequisite for the Coaching Workshop?
For the PBL Coaching Workshop, we will consider other PBL training or experience as a substitute for the PBL 101 prerequisite. If you have not taken a PBL 101, please email [email protected] describing your training, experience, and familiarity with designing, implementing, or coaching Gold Standard Project Based Learning so we can ensure the workshop will meet your needs.
How can I let you know about my accessibility needs?
We aim to host events that enable individuals of all abilities to participate fully and equally. We welcome people with disabilities. If you have an accessibility need due to a disability, injury, or special circumstance, please be sure to include this information in your registration. You can also reach out to us directly to let us know what you need at [email protected]. Please include your confirmation number in your message so we can make notes on your participant record.
How can I let you know about my food allergies?
If you have special food needs, please be sure to include this information in your registration. You can also reach out to us directly to let us know what you need at [email protected]. Please include your confirmation number in the email so we can make notes on your participant record.
What onsite safety precautions will be taken for COVID-19?
Senior leaders at PBLWorks and Napa Valley Unified School District are working closely to monitor COVID-19 at the local level and will be following local, state, and federal guidelines for COVID-19. We will implement all of the necessary safety measures required by the Napa County Public Health, the Napa Valley Unified School District, and PBLWorks, to ensure the safety of all participants, facilitators, and staff. During the first week in June, we will notify all participants of the safety precautions we will be implementing at the event.